BuzzBox Mini released

Excited to see the BuzzBox Mini. I am wondering how the Wifi will work in the middle frame with Honey 2.4 Ghz is absorbed by water… I notice some comment on more powerful wifi, and also more length to the solar cell, I thought it was to short and had to lengthen the two I have… But I do believe it will provide better sensor collection. I have noticed a number of other hive systems such s Arina put the sensor in center of the hive. Boordminder also. SO I think this is good move to better sensor data. Congratulations to the BuzzBox team for continued innovations.

Hey @Grlind ! We’re testing the crap out of stuff like this, so don’t worry :slight_smile:

We’re glad to hear you’re excited, and thanks for the congrats! Theres a lot more in the pipeline…

Question for you: we’re considering doing a special deal for our existing users (such as yourself). The deal would work like: you get a free upgrade to BuzzBox Mini if you get 3 x friends to purchase a BuzzBox with a special code. What do you think about that? Do you have beek friends you think would be interested?

Thanks!

Hi Tristan,
I was offered a replacement for my Buzzbox that suffered microphone failure. I was wondering if I could exchange the Buzzbox for a Buzzbox mini. Cheers Scarr01.

Ps: happy to pay for any difference. Cheers Scarr01.

Hey! Sorry for late reply, I’ll ask the team about this…

@Scarr01 have discussed with the team and we’re happy to upgrade your replacement to a BuzzBox Mini! Thanks for being such an active member of the community :honeybee: :smile:

Hi Tristan, thank you for the upgrade, you won’t be disappointed. The beehive has grown from a tiny 2,000 to nearly 20,000 strong colony of bees in under 5 months from the start of winter to mid spring. I am hoping that having a strong colony will give excellent data for your analysis. I will send you the money to cover freight cost for the Buzzbox mini. Great new, we are pushing ahead with the patent and will have a patent pending very soon. Once we have done this I can share more details about our project here in Australia. Cheers Scarr01.

Hi Tristan, I put through the order for the Buzzbox Mini, however it gave me free shipping. I am giving you the heads up of what happened. Like I said I am happy to pay for the shipping cost but it did not give you that option. It went straight through and announced that the purchase was approved. Cheers Scarr01.

Hey @Scarr01 – thats because for the next 2 weeks we’re offering free shipping to Australia, so looks like a win/win for you mate! :wink:

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie. Bew’die Mate, that’s Fair Dink’m nice O’ ya :slight_smile:

Hey g’day

Was wondering, since this will sit inside the hive, where is the antenna for this? couldn’t find any documentation (or i was looking at the wrong place) for the mini. Just wondering the effects of the stronger wifi if the transmitter is sitting inside the hive?

Could you please advise?

Thanks!

Hi Zephyros, we have moved the antenna to the inside of the case. We are aware that the signal being surrounded by honey (a lot of which is water) will reduce the signal strength.
However, our new antenna has a gain of 4.5dBi, compared to the original 2 dBi. We have conducted various tests in-situ, ex-situ and are happy to report that the Mini should perform (at least) as well as the original BuzzBox :smiley: Enjoy~~

Actually, that’s what I was more afraid of. it’s known that those transmissions will affect the bees, so i was really hoping the antenna is on the outside of the hive. now it’s inside, and to mitigate the signal being absorbed, you are introducing a higher gain. wouldn’t that be worst off for the bees?

if i am in any way wrong, do point me in the right direction

@zephyros,

The first thing to understand is that all EM waves (radio, WiFi, visible light, and so on), are one and the same. With that said, there are two main metrics that you can use to determine the effect of electromagnetic radiation in living tissue. The first one, and most important, is frequency / wavelength:

The lower the wavelength (left on the chart), the more energy the EM waves carry, and the more precise their “hits” become, penetrating the body and causing things like DNA to change. As you probably know, too much gamma, X-ray or UV radiation is not good for you, and can cause humans to either become the incredible Hulk or more realistically, to get cancer.

On the other hand, lower wavelengths (visible light, infrared, microwaves, radio waves) cannot do such harm. The main reason for this is that their wavelength is too large (micrometers to meters) to target any particular fragile thing like DNA and their energy is too low.

So that’s for wavelength. The second most important metric is power. A good example of this are the microwaves in our homes. The wavelengths involved are not harmful by themselves, but 1000W worth of them are bouncing around in a very reduced space and being pumped in continuously, so given a few minutes of that, you can cook food with it.

To put that in perspective, a WiFi transmitter normally outputs 0.1 W, which decreases at a rate proportional to the square root of the distance to the transmitter. So, even if you assume a single bee to be covering the whole antenna and absorbing the full 0.1W (it can’t happen physically, too large of a wavelength), the bee would be receiving roughly the same amount of power at a much less harmful wavelength than just being outside in the sun (in a sunny day, the sun will do 0.1W / cm2 of radiation that the bee will absorb).

Therefore, as long as the wavelengths are large and the power is low, there is no physical mechanism by which electromagnetic radiation can harm bees, or any living being for that matter.

Hi

Thanks for the informative reply. Just to let you know from where I’m coming from,

Bees have a specific organ for sensing magnetic forces, enabling them to navigate using their own compass. The claim of the research is that radiations generated by mobile phones are disturbing the life cycle of honeybees and affecting their reproduction system and honey producing.

As I do have more than one hive, I do worry when their navigation is impacted.

Thanks for your time I clarifying my concerns

There is only one bee who’s DNA should be of concern - the queen. With a 6 week lifetime, long term changes in worker DNA are irrelevant but even if one worker out of 50,000 bees had non lethal DNA changes, any abnormalities in biology or behavior would be overwhelmed by the activity other 49,999.

As DNA-1, the queen, is continuously on the move and as honey atenuates the RF energy, it is likely that the queen’s lifetime exposure would be relatively low.

There is possibly one vulnerable inhabitant of the beehive - the larvae. As in any juvenile, rapidly deciding cells offer a greater opportunity for DNA damage to occur and for that damage to have a more severe effect on a larvae’s growth. If we guesstimate this might affect 100 larvae, take away another 100 from the 49,999 still have 49,899 bees.

that’s one way to look at it. still curious how it’ll affect. when those mini boxes going to come out! :smiley:

Tristan,
Have yall considered running the wifi antenna for the mini up along the power cord connection to the solar panel? That way you could circumvent the signal interference from the inside of the hive. A good example of this being successful is OpenROV’s Trident. Wifi doesnt go through water well, so it uses a surface buoy for its wifi signal thus circumventing as much interference as possible.