Open Data Server

Is there anyone that can give me an idiots guide to set up the Open Data Server software? I have downloaded the software package and the required support files, but now I’m lost. Any help much appreciated. Thanks

Getting the OpenDataServer and CherryPy working is reasonable straightforward but the OSBeehiveApp seems to no longer accept server details in the settings part of the app. When that is working again I can walk you through it. Are you running Windows, Linux or MacOs?

1 Like

If the app is not accepting an endpoint, that’s a bug that we’ll fix. Please contact support@osbeehives.com and we’ll get it taken care of.

Hi, thanks for the reply Realcodfish. I am running Windows 10 pro and thought I had the ODS running at one point but couldn’t get any readings for the audio, if there is a problem with the app, that may be the reason. But a walk through would be really great. I have been working on the firmware for the OS BuzzBoard which initially wasn’t sending the audio but I think I have fixed that, learning C++ from scratch has taken some time. I still don’t understand a whole bunch of it but getting there and need some way of verifying the audio is sending now.

1 Like

Ok the endpint issue is resolved. You need to be online at the time :slight_smile: and use the full http://: notation.

I have noticed, that if there is little or no audio, the system generates a measurement callback but not an audio callback. I guess the guys are looking for some energy at 300-1000Hz and ignoring uploads without it so this is by design. I got it to trigger on the workbench by humming to it for 10 seconds !! Note I’m using a Buzzbox Mini!

I guess if you’ve had ODS installed you’re over the Python bit, got the service running on a port number of your choice, and got your router to port forward through to whatever machine you’re running ODS on in your network?

The only gotcha I found with ODS was setting the api_host field in the config.py to ‘0.0.0.0’ e.g.

api_host = ‘0.0.0.0’ followed by
api_port =

After launching open_data_server.py I could then test ODS was seeing traffic by directing my browser to:

http://your.public.host.com:your-port_num

Naturally, ODS raises an error which you see in the browser but it’s enough to know that the server callback is making its way all the way back to your ODS machine.

Then it’s a case of setting the endpoint in the OSBeeHives App with:
http://your.public.host.com:your-port_num

Sadly the app does not signal success but you can tell if it has worked by exiting settings and going back in. If the app has ‘remembered’ the setting, it’s working. At some point after your buzzbox has checked in to the network, you should see a data directory appear and the start of a new audio_events.csv file plus a measurements.csv file…

Apart from the ‘blocked white light issue’ on the mini which seems to hang the box from time to time (until I can reset it) it seems to work well as long as there is enough light. I stacked 3 panels to get it working for longer hours in the UK.

AndyH

1 Like

Hi Guys,

Our development capacity is increasing, and we can add some improvements to the ODS. If anyone would like to list out a set of specific improvements, I’ll make sure they get reviewed by the team and added to the backlog.

For example:

• The app should signal that a new endpoint was added successfully.

Thanks for helping make the platform better,
Aaron