What happened to the old site / open source files?

Hi guys,

One of the reasons I was excited about the buzzbox when I contributed to the kickstarter was that the App and the design were going to be open source (at least this was my, perhaps flawed, understanding).

Since the early days, I’ve noticed the old site (i.e. https://docs.opensourcebeehives.com/docs/buzzbox-sensor-v10, etc) has gone dormant, as have any current-looking source trees.

There appear to be early historical sensor designs and firmware builds in various places like GitHub, but these haven’t been updated in years.

So, to ask the obvious:

1. What happened to the old site and the open-collaboration model ?

2. Do you plan to make the source files / App source / Server source that’s powering the backend available ? Is it just not polished enough to expose to people yet ?

Adam,

We’ll be making our open source platform announcement soon. The public launch of the BuzzBox has kept us really busy, but we’ll send an update shortly. We are going to release an open source platform.

Thanks,

BuzzBox has been released now is there more on the open source platform. I really wanted to be able to add Weight measurements. Currently using an HX711 and Particle dev board to capture this but would happily shell out for the integrated board that had adder pins I could plug a hx711 into.

I like this idea too. Do you have a scale under each hive? That gets pretty costly from what I’ve seen, maybe you will tell us more about your arrangement or post a link to blog you’ve done.

The BuzzBoard open source files are here:

The beehive open source files are here:

I use 4 50KG loadcells you can pick up from ebay and hx711 for around 7 bucks. I then created a Load cell housing that I 3d printed.

Patrick

Patrick,

Will you post a full report including photos, source files, etc. so we can see how you built your scale? This looks really interesting.

Cheers,

Sure I’m traveling this week but will post more about it. Its actually pretty simple stuff I’m doing right now. I took the 4 load cells built a full bridge connected them to the HX711 tried a couple of different libraries to find one that worked well with the Particle photon. I have a OLED attached for troubleshooting and a temp sensor. I originally forked the osbeehive project but realized I didn’t want to use it and started a new project from scratch since I’m not a great programmer and was using it as a banner project to learn. Currently only using the particle push variables reading every now and then and either doing a curl on my desktop to pull the data from particle or looking at the variables from the particle app. There is no back end housing the data right now. I tried testing with sparkfun and adafruits graphing backends/frontends pushing data to them but knew that was only a temporary test. I was going to either use a Rasberry Pi locally to house the data or was hoping that OSBeehives was going to have a scale /weight options to push data to as part of their platform.

Photon Wireing Guide
D0 -->OLED SDA
D1 -->OLED SCL
D4 -->OLDED Reset not actually used
D2 -->DS18B20 Yellow wire
A0 -->HX711 SCK
A1 -->HX711 DT

I referenced Amazon for parts in the github .ino but ended using HX711’s from ebay they were more reliable/cheaper than Sparkfuns or Adafruits HX711 both of them would work intermittently and never seemed to return the same or similar values for loads.

I have not done any updates on it recently but its mostly been running on two of my beehives for the last 6 months. I’m using a 10watt solar panel to charge a single 10k battery out of some tablet and I know this is a lot of power but the OLED just sucks it down when its connected. I haven’t taken the time to put it to sleep but on the plus side I can walk out to my beehive any time and see the weight on both hives displayed on the OLED.

My long term goal was to actually build this on a ESP32 or whatever board had a built in oled and load cell with battery standby. Was going to try to get it to a DIY project that was reasonable for users IE like 50 bucks or less that Bee clubs could invest in a justify doing. BuzzBox is 200 which is still a stretch for most people but at 50 bucks you could justify putting one on lots of hives. Granted the Buzzbox is very simple to implement unlike a DIY but misses what my goal is which is to know when to go and add honey supers.

Some fleeting thoughts i’ve had on Features for Buzzbox that would be interesting to me, take the weight of the hive identify in the app how many supers/deeps you have take the noise of the hive and figure out how many bees are in the hive. Then try to identify how big the brood nest is expected to be or if through the way the hive sounds the brood is in the upper or lower boxes etc. I would also be curious if it were possible to know that there is an excess of drones in the hive if that can be identified through there noise.

I’ll post more about the actual build later next week.

Patrick,

Thank you kindly for the detailed response. We look forward to your updates.

Aaron

Fabulous, that’s an easy price to bear so I’ll be ordering a few of these and I think I have access to the same 3D printer you’ve used. Looking forward to seeing more of your project when you are done traveling.

Thanks

Has there been any progress on adding weight? This is important to us and we will be working on adding weight but we do not want to duplicate the efforts of others if this is underway.

Hey there, thanks for asking this question!

To respond, no we are not currently working on this, but I can say that BuzzBoard (the open version of the BuzzBox hardware) does have additional sensor input connections we left specifically for people to build in their own sensors, such as weight.

Would you be interested in developing this? If so, that would be awesome, and we can offer some support and guidance.

@patrick.laidlaw any update this?

That looks great Patrick, I would luv some load cells on my hives. Especially if they could be connected up with the Buzzbox and that data could be transmitted to the the Buzzbox App. I have a great little fan design that I would luv to have the Buzzbox switch off and on to help regulate the temperature and humidity of the hive. Are you listening Aaron? :slight_smile: Cheers Scarr01.